Thursday, November 18, 2010

Was Ultimate the Wrong Sport to Pick - Quidditch?

Harry Potter fever seems to be peeking again as we come closer to Christmas and the latest movie release. NPR this morning was talking about how people are using the pop-culture sensation to help convince people into community activism.


Well, that's not what I want to discuss. The real story is about the "Quidditch World Cup".

Many of you who might be familiar with my many years spent in the ranks of playing Ultimate. What shocks me (not really) is how fast Quidditch has climbed the casual sport ladder. Their link of sport with pop-culture means I won't be shocked when Quidditch surpasses Ultimate in terms of numbers, media coverage, and public acceptance. Take a look at how many teams are around and forming.

This all was capped by an article in Wired that appeared in in my media reads, and the sport is only in its 4th World Cup. Ultimate has never hit my casual reading radar unless I sought it out. Sure Ultimate can claim 2 or 3 appearances on ESPN for a total of 3 minutes. but it seems there's just no public appeal for the sport.

Just so you know, I didn't pick the wrong sport. Ultimate was and is awesome. It's just one of those things you have to be happy with living in anonymity. Keeps the participants cooler anyway.

Peter

1 comments:

John987 said...

I can't approve of that as a sport nor it being more popular than ultimate. I saw those shirts all around my school and thought it was just because Harry Potter was opening. Where are the skys and lay outs?? Although I did like the snitch video from the wired page, that was at least entertaining.