Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I was lost but now I'm found

Hey Folks,

I've been questioning my direction in Ultimate as of my recent move from Toronto to London. If I was in Toronto, I would most likely be preparing to captain GT, but my new postal code eliminates that possibility.

Ultimately lost!

Sunday morning, on my way to a Clapham practice, I was transferring from my 2nd bus to my 3rd bus (the tube/subway line I needed was closed on Sunday). As I waited for the bus I realized that I was going to be doing this 3 to 4 times a week. This is what I've done for the past 7 years in Toronto, but I didn't move to England to practice and play every weekend. The reality is I'm here to see and experience new things.

This realization meant that high-level Ultimate with a great team that pushes hard doesn't make sense at this point in my life. I really like the Clapham guys and their attitude toward the game, but I don't have the motivation to push hard and make the sacrifice without some driving goals (Steven was right in his comments about needing new goals after my recent success - his blog).

Instead, I've found an alternative team called ABH. For those of you in Toronto, ABH reminds me of GT/Roy mixed with Zen. The good thing is the team is local (close to Imperial), and seem like a fun bunch that I should mix with well, but I still get to play organized competitive Ultimate. That along with continuing to help out with Imperial's team will be my focus on Ultimate this year.

Now, the next challenge will be not being a coach/captain. It's funny how hard it is to see drills and game play that are significantly different than the philosophies I'm more used to. We'll see how interested people are into letting me teach, but I'm happy to have less responsibility and just play Ultimate for a change. Of course, with my personality I'll see how long that lasts.

PJ

1 comments:

Rahil said...

Congrats Pete, good to have direction. We'll definitely miss you here in TO on GT this season.